- Prep Time
- Serving Size
- 4-5 pieces of mixed citrus
- ¼ cup coarse kosher salt, for glasses
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (6 ounces) tequila
- 4 cups ice cubes
- Small handful cilantro, mint and/or basil, stems and all (to blend into margarita or garnish)
- Citrus slices, for garnish
- Using a Microplane, zest 1 piece of citrus. Mix with salt in a shallow bowl. Cut a few citrus wedges to rim the glasses. Set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the rinds from all the citrus. Throw the rinds into a medium saucepan with water and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Cool completely and strain into a high-speed blender, discard rinds.
- Chop the fruit and throw in blender with tequila, ice and herbs (if using). Blend on high for about 1 minute until smooth.
- Rub the rim of each glass with a citrus wedge, then roll or dip into salt. Pour margaritas and garnish with a slice of citrus and an herb sprig.