- Prep Time
- Cook Time
35 to 45 min
- Serving Size
8 to 12
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 very ripe bananas, peeled
- ¾ cup lightly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Scrap: Over-ripe bananas
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a 12” skillet (preferably cast iron), melt butter over medium-heat. Cook, swirling occasionally, until foaming subsides and butter turns golden brown.
- Pour brown butter into a small bowl and set aside to cool slightly. Do not clean skillet.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, set aside.
- Slice 1 banana for topping, place remaining bananas into the bowl of your KitchenAid® Artisan® Mini Stand Mixer (KSM3311/3316) with the Flat Beater attached. Beat bananas on medium-low speed (there will still be some lumps). Add sugar, eggs, yogurt and vanilla, beat until smooth. On low speed, slowly stream in brown butter. Add dry mixture in on addition, mix on low until just combined (do not over-mix). Add walnuts, if desired. Stir by hand until no streaks of flour remain.
- Transfer batter into skillet, smoothing the top.
- Arrange reserved banana slices on top. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean (do not overbake).
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.