By Chef Rusty
1 hr 20 min
- 1 whole rabbit, cleaned and deboned
- 9 oz chorizo
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup onion, med dice
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, med dice
- 1⁄4 cup celery, med dice
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1⁄2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups instant masa
- 8 oz butter
- 3 cups water
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 6 oz chorizo
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn
- 1 1⁄2 black beans
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 4 oz queso fresca
- 8 oz monterey jack
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Mix salt, chili powder and smoked paprika. Rub rabbit meat.
- Remove chorizo from casing and sauté at medium heat to render
- Sear seasoned rabbit in chorizo fat, about 3 minutes on each
side, remove from heat and set aside.
- Sauté onion, carrot, and celery in extra virgin olive oil in braising
pan (5 min).
- Add tomato puree and water, bring to a simmer.
- Add seared rabbit to pan, bring back to a simmer, cover with lid and place in a 375 F oven for 30 min or until rabbit reaches 160 F internal temperature.
- Remove rabbit from braising liquid and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Remove from bone, rough chop and set aside.
- Remove remaining 6oz of chorizo from casing and sauté in large pan at medium heat (5 min).
- Add chopped garlic, corn and beans and sauté (5 min). Add chopped rabbit meat, 1 c of the braising liquid and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In mixer, whip butter with paddle attachment until fluffy.
- Add masa and mix until incorporated.
- Slowly pour in water until the proper dough consistency is reached, do not allow to get sticky.
- Grease 9×12 baking dish with softened butter.
- Line greased pan with a half inch layer of masa dough on bottom and sides of pan.
- Start with a 4oz layer of monterey jack cheese, then 2 oz layer of crumbled queso fresco.
- Fill pan with rabbit and vegetable mixture (Leave a 1 inch to top of pan for remaining layers).
- Repeat a layer of the cheeses.
- Lay 1⁄4 inch layer of the masa dough covering the entire top.
- Finish with another layer of the cheeses.