By Chef Rusty
- 4 ripe plums
- 375 ml ice wine (or sangria)
- 3 Tbs butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cup AP flour
- 1 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbs orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 qt apple cider
- 10 oz brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Marinate plums in ice wine (or sangria) overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Grease 9” cake pan with butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl, whip butter and white sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- Mix in egg, vanilla, buttermilk, and orange zest.
- Then add flour and blend until just incorporated.
- In cake pan, add butter and brown sugar, and place in oven until butter is melted. Whisk together.
- Arrange plums, shingled, in bottom of cake pan.
- Pour batter over plums and smooth evenly. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick test is clean.
- In a small sauce pan, reduce apple cider to a quarter. Whisk in brown sugar until completely melted.
- Pour in heavy cream slowly while whisking vigorously.
- Remove from heat when all ingredients are combined. Pour into large metal pan with a large surface area to cool down to room temp.
- Remove and cool for 10 minutes.
- Flip upside down onto a platter for service. Top with caramel sauce.