By Chef Rusty
1 hr 45 min
- 4 smoked turkey legs
- 1⁄2 gallon water
- 2 carrots, sm dice
- 2 stalks celery, sm dice
- 1 onion (yellow, sweet)
- 1 Tbs garlic
- 1 Tbs celery seed
- 1 Tbs salt
- 3 1⁄2 lbs collards, rinsed well and chopped
- 5 cups turkey/chicken stock
- 3 onions, small dice
- 3 Tbs garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 oz butter
- 6 Tbs Louisiana Hot Sauce
- 3 Tbs brown sugar
- 3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Add 4 smoked turkey legs, 1⁄2 gallon water, 2 carrots (small dice), 2 stalks celery, (small dice), 1 onion (yellow, sweet) 1 tablespoon garlic, 1 tablespoon celery seed and 1 tablespoon salt to deep baking dish.
- Cover with foil. Cook at 375 for 1 hour.
- Remove legs, and pull all meat from bone. Rough chop.
- Strain and skim oil from stock. Set stock aside.
- Melt butter and oil in a large stock pot on med-high heat. Add onions and garlic.
- Stir 2 to 3 minutes, until onions start to caramelize.
- Stir in turkey.
- Add hot sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, pulled aside stock, salt and pepper.
- Turn heat to med and add half of the collards. Once wilted, add remaining collards.
- Braise greens for approximately 40 minutes, until they are soft but not mushy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.